The American College of Dentists (ACD) is the oldest major honorary organization for dentists. Its members have exemplified excellence through outstanding leadership and exceptional contributions to dentistry and society. In response to serious problems facing the profession, the American College of Dentists was founded August 20, 1920, by the then leaders of dentistry to elevate the standards of dentistry, to encourage graduate study, and to grant Fellowship to those who have done meritorious work. The American College of Dentists is nonprofit and apolitical, and has long been regarded as the "conscience of dentistry."
Our mission is to advance excellence, ethics, professionalism, and leadership in dentistry.
The College has played a vital role in positively shaping the profession. Early accomplishments include being the first organization to promote what we today call "continuing education," organizing and incorporating the American Association of Dental Editors, and essentially saving the Journal of Dental Research during the Depression. The College is currently involved in a wide range of activities, nationally and locally, to accomplish its mission. These efforts include ethics summits, online courses in dental ethics, the Professional Ethics Initiative, an entry level ethics course, online leadership courses, leadership symposia, a multimedia dental history resource, resource materials for dental schools, a variety of award programs, and more.
Recent developments of the American College of Dentists include:
$1,000 for Graduate Course
$10,000 for Ethics Degree
$1,000 Scholarships. The American College of Dentists Foundation will be offering up to ten $1,000 partial scholarships in 2014 to dentists who take the 3-unit graduate-level college course in dental ethics at Creighton University entitled, "Oral Health Care at the Intersection of Professional and Business Ethics." The course will run April 28 to June 20, 2014. The scholarships are one-time grants, not repetitive, and are funded by the Dr. Cecelia L. Dows Scholarship Fund. Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 12:00 noon, Eastern Time, Saturday, February 1, 2014. A summary of the application process and description will be available in December. A summary of the application process is available online as well as a brochure describing the course.
$10,000 Scholarships. We anticipate that at least one $10,000 scholarship will be awarded in 2014 to a Fellow enrolled in a graduate degree in ethics. The deadline for applications is March 1, 2014. The application is available online.
- On November 2, 2013 the College was awarded Special Recognition Award in New Orleans from the Pierre Fauchard Academy for its valuable leadership to the dental profession over the last 93 years.
- On October 31, 2013 the College inducted 249 New Fellows at the New Orleans Marriott. Congratulations to our new Fellows!
- Courses Online Dental Ethics (CODE), our series of online ethics courses that are part of Dental Ethics, now has 39 courses, each providing complimentary continuing education credit. The registration process is simple and there are no registration fees. Try it at www.dentalethics.org.
- The Information Brochure can now be viewed or downloaded as a PDF. The PDF version reflects its trifold layout.
- The Ethics Handbook for Dentists can now be viewed or downloaded as a PDF.
- The Core Values & Aspirational Code of Ethics can now be viewed or downloaded as a PDF.
- The most recent recent issue of our newsletter, ACD News, can be viewed online.
- The video for American College of Dentists is complete and can be viewed using the button link above. An orientation video using a different format and slightly different information is also available for viewing using the other button link above.
- Fellows can now make online donations to the American College of Dentists Foundation.
- The ADEAGies Foundation honored the American College of Dentists for Outstanding Achievement, Public or Private Partner, at the Gies Awards celebration held on March 14, 2011, in San Diego, California, in conjunction with the 2011 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition. The Gies Awards, named after dental education pioneer William J. Gies, Ph.D., honor individuals and organizations exemplifying dedication to the highest standards of vision, innovation, and achievement in dental education, research, and leadership.
- The Interactive Dental Ethics Application (IDEA®) is a comprehensive ethics resource with interactive features. The prototype has been completed and can be tried at IDEA®. It has and educational focus and there are no fees.
- A trifold brochure summarizing the Professional Ethics Initiative is now available in PDF format.
- The ACD, primarily through its Sections, supports the Student Professionalism and Ethics Association, chapters of which have been established at over 30 North American dental schools. SPEA, as the organization is known, was founded in 2007 at U.S.C. It is student-run and has a purpose of increasing the overall level of ethics and professionalism. See their website or contact their
for more information on starting a chapter at your local dental school.
- Stressed out? An online Personal Stress Inventory has been added to Dental Leadership at www.dentalleadership.org. The inventory is one of the self-assessment leadership tools and is listed as Activity E under the Assessment heading. The inventory is also associated with Course 28. You will first need to register. Dental Leadership is a comprehensive leadership resources and includes education, assessment, and library modules. Continuing education credit is available for courses in the education module.
- Digital compilations of the 52 Ethical Dilemmas published in the Texas Dental Journal from 1993 to 2005, and authored by the late Dr. Thomas K. Hasegawa and others, can be downloaded from www.dentalethics.org. The dilemmas are also available in limited numbers on CDs from the Executive Office.
- The College is gathering information to help improve dental practice, and we could use your help. If you are currently in practice, would you please take the anonymous Practice Values Inventory. It only takes a minute or two and it will provide us with very useful information.
- The Members Only section contains a variety of useful resources; use the Members link on the menu. The latest addition is a summary of the Model Section Program, including an application. You can also pay your dues in this section.
- A new, simplified, one-page nomination form is available. Contact our
for more information.
Explore our website and learn more about the American College of Dentists.
Kenneth L. Kalkwarf